A Seattle-based biotech startup is seeking an exceptional Scientist/Sr. Scientist, Upstream Process Development, to join their fast-growing team. Individuals should function independently and productively in the Process Development Group actively engaging in process development within a team-based laboratory to support a wide variety of biopharmaceutical development projects. The Scientist will be responsible for managing a small group of scientists in the development team.
The individual should display technical knowledge and scientific understanding of bacterial cell culture. The individual will lead internal projects, participate in interactions with CROs. CDMOs and CMOs and is expected to provide scientific and technical contributions within the PD Group.
- Design and develop upstream processes for biopharmaceuticals produced in bacterial expression system including high-throughput fed-batch fermentation screening, lab scale fermentation optimization (up to 10L), harvest clarification (centrifugation, homogenization, flocculation, inclusion bodies clarification).
- Supervise technical staff including setting objectives and development plans, performance management, career development, training, and mentoring.
- Serve as a Subject Matter Expert (SME) for the development of robust, scalable, reproducible, high performing upstream processes with emphasis on transferability to cGMP manufacturing.
- Actively manage the day-to-day activities in PD upstream laboratories, including instrument care, maintenance, and troubleshooting.
- Document writing, including SOPs, data interpretation, presentation, statistical analysis, trending and other project/process related documents.
- Be involved in decision-making processes within the project team by actively engaging in scientific and technical discussions.
- Participate in the generation of project and cost proposals, timelines, and work plans by applying scientific knowledge and project management experience.
- PhD in a science related field (Microbiology, Chemistry, Biology, or a related field), with at least one year of relevant experience in a biotech field; OR MS or BS in a science related field, with at least five years' relevant experience of which at least two years in a biotech filed. Management/supervisory experience is a plus.
- Experience with E.coli-based protein expression relevant to recombinant biopharmaceuticals production. Experience with bacterial vector design is a plus.
- Experience setting up and operating lab scale bioreactors is a highly desirable.
- Track record of running microbial fermentation processes in fermenter.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint as well as other analytical applications/programs.
- Good interpersonal, follow-up, and excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to prepare/present scientific information, progress, and updates to internal and external groups.
- Work independently with minimal supervision and/or guidance.
- Strong problem-solving and troubleshooting skills.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities.
- Supervisory Responsibility: Carry out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with company policies and applicable laws including (but not limited) to interviewing potential candidates, planning studies, assigning tasks, training new and existing team members. Other duties focus on people management including performance reviews, addressing complaints, and resolving problems.